[BioC] RMA-bimodality:

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Jun 6 16:42:43 CEST 2006

Hi Claus,

Regarding a), I think it is not helpful to talk about the number of
peaks in the distribution of microarray data, normalized or
unnormalized, unless you are very precise about what transformation,
pre-processing, scanner settings, etc. you apply. That is, that number
is unlikely to be of any biological significance. See below.

b) is an entirely different issue, it is simply an artifact of the way
MMs are defined, but (GC)RMA does not use PM/MM ratios.

Please try out the example I gave, it is stronger than just the trivial
observation that any distribution can be mapped into any other through a
suitable non-linear mapping:

 set.seed(123)
 n = 100000
 z = 20 + exp(c(rnorm(n), 3+rnorm(n)))

 par(mfrow=c(1,3))
 plot(density(log2(z)))
 plot(density(log2(z-20)))

 x = seq(min(z), max(z), length=100)
 plot(x, log2(2^x-20), type="l")

The function x -> log2(2^x-20) is concave and looks quite
"well-behaved". The densities of log2(z) and log2(z-20)
look quite different, and similar effects might result from subtly
different preprocessing strategies, or different scanner settings etc.

Best wishes
 Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber  EBI/EMBL  Cambridge UK  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/huber