[BioC] Affymetrix exon arrays?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Thu Jul 27 23:00:20 CEST 2006

A comment: For the advanced user, the affxparser package is a good
start here. It is memory efficient and fast.

I don't work with exon arrays myself, but I know that at least one
person used the affxparser package to read exon CDF and CEL files, and
that without problems. Note: if you can get hold of binary CDF files,
that is *much* faster than ASCII CDF files. Same is true for CEL
files.

Typically you do not have to read all of the data in at once, but only
a subsets, which is supported by affxparser.

With readCel() you have access to the probe-level data either ordered
from top-left corner to the bottom-right corner of the array (ordered
by (x,y)). This way you'll be able access data so you can normalize
it.

With readCelUnits() you have access to the probe-level data ordered in
probesets as defined by the CDF (now I don't know how probesets are
defined on exon arrays). This allows you to sumarize data across
arrays without having to load all of the data into memory at once.

FYI: I'm working on a package (aroma.affymetrix) that among other
things allow s you to (quantile) normalize virtually any number of
arrays, e.g. I normalized the 90 CEPH 100K SNP with <150Mb RAM.  The
idea is to work with (CEL) files directly (utilizing affxparser)
without reading everything into memory (at the same time).  If I find
the time (and a poster spot) I'll try to prepare a poster on this for
the Bioconductor meeting in Seattle, if you happen to be there. If no
poster, just grab me there and I'll show you on my laptop.

Cheers

Henrik