[BioC] methods for Differential expression

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Mon Jul 24 16:17:18 CEST 2006

I do not know whether there is consensus on the best method.

Limma, SAM and t-tests (for 2 population problems) are popular, as a
permuations tests such as found in multtest.  SAM and Limma give
similar results for simple two population and ANOVA problems if
calibrated similarly, although in my experience SAM is more
conservative.  t-tests will give different answers because there are
usually a large number of genes with very small variance, and the
moderated denominator will render these non-significant.

Personally, I usually use limma with single-channel analysis, because
it is the most flexible and I think the model is reasonable.  SAM is
fine for reference designs with only 1 level of replication.   If a
t-test is appropriate, so are Limma and SAM.

MAANOVA is another good option, and the documentation indicates it
can handle more complex models than Limma.

--Naomi