[BioC] normalize.AffyBatch.quantiles and NA values

Ben Bolstad bmb at bmbolstad.com
Wed Jul 5 18:16:08 CEST 2006

Your understanding of what the code is doing is correct. eg

> data(affybatch.example)
> pm(affybatch.example)[1,]
20A 20B 10A
149 118 124
> pm(affybatch.example)[1,1] <- NA
> affybatch.example.norm <- normalize(affybatch.example)
> pm(affybatch.example)[1:3,]
       20A   20B   10A
[1,]    NA 118.0 124.0
[2,] 143.5 124.8 116.5
[3,] 132.0 111.0 105.0
> pm(affybatch.example.norm)[1:3,]
          20A      20B      10A
[1,]       NA 118.0000 124.0000
[2,] 127.2667 137.3667 120.1667
[3,] 115.8333 122.6000 107.3333

Note that normalize calls normalize.AffyBatch.quantiles by default in
this case.

Why does it do this? Because the underlying routine which does the
normalization normalize.quantiles() does not handle NA values. In some
sense this was done by design, the thinking being that if you start off
with raw CEL file data there should not be any missing data.

Ben

Ben Bolstad <bmb at bmbolstad.com>
http://bmbolstad.com