[BioC] OT: question about plots, general R, really...

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jul 5 14:45:23 CEST 2006

Quoting Ana Conesa <aconesa at ivia.es>:

> Hi Jose,
>
> I came across this same problem some time ago and I figured out a quite
> rudimentary solution, I guess. Probably there are more elgant ones (I would
> love to know them!!!)
> Basically what I do is:
> - Split my device up into one more row, very narrow, at the upper part, to
> host the general title, and then set my first figure to spand across this
> first row.
> - Then plot a "ghost" plot in which I have made everything not visible but
> the Title. Normally you have to adjust the margins for this first "plot" in
> advance.
> - Resest the margins
> - Plot the other plots
>
> For example, for a title, plus 4 figures you could use:
>> layout(matrix(c(1,1,2,3,4,5),3,2, byrow=T),heights=c(1,6,6))
>> par(mar=c(0.1,0.1,2,0.1))
>> plot(0, main="Your Title", xaxt="n", yaxt="n", xlab="",
> ylab="",bty="n",col="white")
>> par(mar=c(c(4, 4, 4, 2)))
>> plot...what ever...
>
> You have to play a bit with the heights parameter of layout to get the
> division you are happy with (the function layout.show() shows you the
> position of each plot in your screen). And play also with the margins, maybe.
>
> Hope this is of some use to you...
>
> Ana

Hi Ana,

I haven't tried yet your solution, as it is a little more involved than
the others... but I can see that this will work :-) So many thanks for
your suggestion. If I cannot make it work in a simpler way, I'll
definitely use your technique... gracias!

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374