[BioC] OT: question about plots, general R, really...

Ana Conesa aconesa at ivia.es
Tue Jul 4 20:25:21 CEST 2006

Hi Jose,

I came across this same problem some time ago and I figured out a quite
rudimentary solution, I guess. Probably there are more elgant ones (I would
love to know them!!!)
Basically what I do is:
- Split my device up into one more row, very narrow, at the upper part, to
host the general title, and then set my first figure to spand across this
first row.
- Then plot a "ghost" plot in which I have made everything not visible but
the Title. Normally you have to adjust the margins for this first "plot" in
advance.
- Resest the margins
- Plot the other plots

For example, for a title, plus 4 figures you could use:
> layout(matrix(c(1,1,2,3,4,5),3,2, byrow=T),heights=c(1,6,6))
> par(mar=c(0.1,0.1,2,0.1))
> plot(0, main="Your Title", xaxt="n", yaxt="n", xlab="",
ylab="",bty="n",col="white")
>par(mar=c(c(4, 4, 4, 2)))
> plot...what ever...

You have to play a bit with the heights parameter of layout to get the
division you are happy with (the function layout.show() shows you the
position of each plot in your screen). And play also with the margins, maybe.

Hope this is of some use to you...

Ana

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:12:56 +0100, J.delasHeras wrote

IVIA (http://www.ivia.es)
Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)