[BioC] illumina --> limma?

Stefano Calza stecalza at tiscali.it
Fri Aug 25 17:20:12 CEST 2006

Thanks Mark for pointing out this.

Regards,
Stefano

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 04:04:47PM +0100, Mark Dunning wrote:
<Mark>So just to clarify, here is the situation regarding BeadArray raw data.
<Mark>
<Mark>If you have made the appropriate tweaks to the BeadScan software then
<Mark>you should get a text file that look like this (for each array/strip);
<Mark>
<Mark>Code    Grn    GrnX    GrnY
<Mark>50008    796    536.5297    3167.486
<Mark>50008    495    1574.66    12360.35
<Mark>50008    706    2120.334    14611.3
<Mark>50008    519    1493.311    17420.35
<Mark>50008    938    1549.49    11478.03
<Mark>50008    612    1989.498    4735.532
<Mark>50008    744    1073.537    15349.49
<Mark>..........
<Mark>
<Mark>*********************************************
<Mark>For instructions on how to make the tweaks in BeadScan go to
<Mark>
<Mark>http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/npt22
<Mark>
<Mark>On that page you will find an xml file to replace the existing
<Mark>Settings.xml file within the BeadScan program directory
<Mark>
<Mark>Note that these steps can only be used before scanning new arrays. I
<Mark>don't know of any way to recover the x and y coordinates for arrays
<Mark>that have been previously scanned.
<Mark>
<Mark> *********************************************
<Mark>
<Mark>
<Mark>As Sean notes, each bead is identified by a Code and not a TargetID
<Mark>as seen in the BeadStudio output. This is annoying, but it is
<Mark>possible to match up the two identifiers using the bead set manifest
<Mark>that Illumina distributes on their cd's when they give the arrays
<Mark>(its a csv file).
<Mark>
<Mark>
<Mark>The Grn column gives the bead intensity that has been calculated
<Mark>using Illumina image processing methods which include a "sharpening"
<Mark>transformation and a local background correction. It is possible for
<Mark>both these steps to produce negative values. The beadarray package is
<Mark>able to use the TIF images and the X and Y coordinates from the text
<Mark>file to calculate bead intensities. It is possible to re-create the
<Mark>steps that Illumina use although we store the local foreground and
<Mark>background for each bead separately so that background correction is
<Mark>optional. We are also looking to implement a method of background
<Mark>estimation using morphological filtering.
<Mark>
<Mark>We have only just seen this new text format for ourselves, so the
<Mark>code to read these files is only available in the latest version of
<Mark>beadarray in the developers section.
<Mark>
<Mark>So in summary, with the Code, X and Y information plus the .tif
<Mark>image, you can re-create the Illumina image analysis yourself to get
<Mark>raw intensities at the probe level using the beadarray package.
<Mark>Currently this takes around 1min for each array (strip) i.e. about
<Mark>10-15mins for each chip [ 3Ghz machine with 3GB ram].
<Mark>
<Mark>Hope this helps,
<Mark>
<Mark>