[BioC] Limma: correct calculation of B statistics (log odds)

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 19 14:05:59 CEST 2006

I have been using B values to rank genes in order of more likely to
less likely (differentially expressed) in LimmaGUI.

I am now using Limma, I noticed the default value for the parameter
"proportion" (on the function eBayes) is set at 0.01 (expected 1%
differentially expressed genes). I didn't pay much attention to this
parameter before, because in LimmaGUI you cannot specify it.

However, now that I use "straight" Limma more I was playing with the
proportion parameter and it affects the B stats a lot. Therefore I come
to the question of what's the best way to estimate this parameter.

My first guess is to use the P values (FDR, calculated by BH) to decide
a cut off, usually 0.05. Then see how many genes are differentially
expressed according to that rule. And use this observed proportion of
differentially expressed genes as my proportion parameter.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374