[BioC] Change to limma::eBayes

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Fri Nov 11 02:57:33 CET 2005

This is just a heads-up that, for the first time in several years, I've
made a user visible change to the empirical Bayes procedure used in the
limma package. I have changed the hyperparameter estimation to make it less
sensitive to sample standard deviations which are zero to machine
precision, as can arise from the RMA algorithm with small data sets. In
particular, very small standard deviations and zero standard deviations are
now treated in a unified way. This means that eBayes() and topTable() will
produce slightly changed signficance results for all data sets.

For most data sets the changes will be minor, affecting only the 3rd
significant figure of t-statistics. For small data sets (few arrays),
eBayes() does slighty more smoothing than before, which I think is a
positive change. The only exception is for data sets which have many
exactly zero standard deviations, which may experience somewhat less
smoothing than at present.

The data sets for which the change will be substantial are small data sets
containing very small (1e-15) but non-zero standard deviations. For these
data sets, the eBayes() algorithm will do much more smoothing than at
present, producing far more stable results.

I've committed the new version to the developmental version of Bioconductor
as limma 2.4.0. I'd be pleased to receive feedback if there are problems.
Further changes are also possible over the next few months.

Cheers
Gordon