[BioC] Determining Synergy in MA expts

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Tue Nov 8 19:40:17 CET 2005

What you are looking for is called "interaction" in statistics and the
design of your experiment is described as a 2x2 factorial design. This
is also sometimes described as two-way ANOVA (analysis of variance).

You will need to ensure that the data follows a normal distribution
(e.g. by taking log2) in order to use this method as it assumes normally
distributed error terms.

Trying reading up
 http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/stat/13/anova-2w.htm
 http://www.bioconductor.org/repository/devel/vignette/factDesign.pdf

PS : Another reason why statisticians like logged values is that it is
symmetric around 1. E.g. raw values of 0.5 and 2.0 are -0.693 and 0.693
on log scales.

Regards, Adai