[BioC] grDevices under Linux

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Mon Nov 7 15:10:03 CET 2005

Assa Yeroslaviz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a png image under linux.
>
> The problem is, that the program can't find neither savePlot() nor png().
>
> Does anyone know how I can save a png file?

This question is more appropriate for the R-help list, as this has
nothing to do with any BioC package.

Anyway... savePlot() is AFAIK only available on Windows so you will not
be able to use that function under linux. In addition, I don't think it
is that common to have libpng installed on linux, so you will likely
need to install libpng before you will be able to use png(). Check
capabilities() to see if you have png support.

I don't know if there is a way to tell R that you have libpng installed
without re-configuring and re-making (I would imagine there is, but I
don't know how). However, since the only thing that would be added in is
png support, I would imagine a compile and make would be pretty quick.

HTH,

Jim