[BioC] Gene names

J.delasHeras@ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Sun Nov 6 03:13:39 CET 2005

Quoting Narendra Kaushik <kaushiknk at Cardiff.ac.uk>:

> I have gene file in this format, everything in one column (no spaces at all):
> SFTPB|NM_000542.1|4506904|surfactant, pulmonary-associated protein B
> Is there any way to convert it in this format (into four columns) except
> manually?
>
> SFTPB                        NM_000542.1               4506904
> surfactant, pulmonary-associated protein B
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Narendra

Maybe too obvious, but Excel is very good for this sort of thing.
Functions like
Search allow you to obtain the position of a particulat character (like
"|") and
knowing that you can select the text to the left or right to it... if you do
that consecutively you can sort it like that. It'll take a minute.

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374