[BioC] Bioconductor and R_LIBS

Steve Taylor stephen.taylor at molecular-sciences.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 09:45:09 CEST 2005

Hi,

We have recently installed R 2.0.1 on Solaris 9 (sparc) and downloaded
the latest set of BioConductor packages.

BioConductor is used by several people here on our Solaris machine and
we are finding during testing of the system after installation that
there are warning messages appearing when trying to use certain
libraries due to insufficient privileges.

I had read that it is possible to point to a personal library directory
by setting the environment variable R_LIBS. Even when I do this, when
R/2.0.1/lib/R/library/liblisting.Rda.

For example:

 > .libPaths()
[1] "/home/cbrg/validate/myRlibs"    "/package/R/2.0.1/lib/R/library"
 > library(affy)
Welcome to Bioconductor
          Vignettes contain introductory material.  To view,
          simply type: openVignette()
          For details on reading vignettes, see
          the openVignette help page.
Warning messages:
1: Incorrect permissions to edit package database,
/package/R/2.0.1/lib/R/library/liblisting.Rda in:
save.locLib(locLibList, curLib)
2: Incorrect permissions to edit package database,
/package/R/2.0.1/lib/R/library/liblisting.Rda in:
save.locLib(locLibList, curLib)

In this case, this doesn't stop the user using the affy package (in fact
this seems to be an issue with reposTools) but the warnings are  a
little disconcerting.

Apologies if this is more of an R question but I wondered if anyone else
had encountered this and if there is a solution to fix it?

Thanks and Regards,

Steve Taylor