[BioC] Detecting overrepresented genomic loci

Furge, Kyle Kyle.Furge at vai.org
Thu Mar 31 04:28:07 CEST 2005

We have recently put up a package called "ideogram" that assists in plotting
data in a genomic context.  The package may be of help in your analysis and
can be found at
http://www.vai.org/vari/supplemental/kyle.furge/download.html. The package
also includes a function named (for better or worse) "ideograb" to
semi-interactively select sets of adjacent genes for further analysis.

While the previously described two-table testing methods may be more
appropriate for your particular analysis, in addition to aCGH, GLAD, etc.
you also may want to consider the CLAC package.

Also, be aware that if a cluster of differentially expressed genes is biased
towards one sample group, this often indicts that a common underlying
cytogenetic event has taken place (i.e. DNA copy number gain / loss). The
dependence of gene expression on DNA copy number can either confound or
confirm your regional discriminate analysis depending on your experimental
design.

-kyle