[BioC] finding and averaging replicate gene records

zhihua li lzhtom at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 08:33:08 CET 2005

Hi netter!

In most microarray slides a single gene will be represented by multiple
items. Sometimes it's unforseable because they have different genbank
accession numbers and you will not find them until you get a unigene list
for  all your gene items.

Now I have a dataframe . The rows are gene records(accession number,
unigene ID and expression values in different conditions) ; the 1st column
is genbank accession numbers, the 2nd column is unigene IDs, from 3rd
column on are different conditions). All the accession numbers are unique,
but through unigene IDs i can find that some items, though with different
accession numbers, are in fact sharing the same unigene ID. I would like to
find the gene records containing replicate unigene IDs and merge them into
one record by averaging different expression values in the same condition.

Could anyone give me a clue about how to write the code? Or are there any
contributed functions can do this stuff?

Thanks a lot!