[BioC] plate vs. pin-tip

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 23:12:04 CET 2005

Hi Johanna,

print-tip and plate are usually "orthogonal" factors, in the following
sense: print-tip corresponds to spatial sectors on the array, whereas
plate corresponds to the 384- or 96-well plates in which the DNA was PCR
amplified, stored, and brought to the spotter. Often you can visually
identify plate effects as gradients or particularly bright or dark rows
within a sector. Whether the plate effects are technical noise that
needs to be normalized away, or whether they are true biological signal
depends very much on the experiment - often, different plates correspond
to different clone libraries e.g. from different tissues.

marray (and may I note vsn as well) currently allow only estimation of
either print-tip or plate effects. But one could imagine a (generalized)
linear model that fits both, just nobody seems to have implemented this
yet - or has anyone?

   Best wishes
    Wolfgang

Johanna Hardin wrote:
> We're using marrayNorm to normalize our data, and we'd like to normalize
> with respect to pin-tips as well as arrays.  However, our choices
> include plate normalization.  Can someone describe the difference
> between pin-tip and plate normalization (is it possible that we only
> have pin-tip issues and not plate issues?)
>

> Additionally, does marrayNorm have a global normalization?  And is
> global normalization synonymous with array normalization?
>

> Thanks, Jo
>

> Jo Hardin
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> Department of Mathematics