[BioC] RMA verse GCRMA, low intensity

Fangxin Hong fhong at salk.edu
Wed Mar 9 01:06:47 CET 2005

Please help:

We have done a timecourse experiments (12 time points) using Affy ATH1
array (Arabidopsis) without replication.

The normalized expression profiles from RMA and GCRMA don't agree well for
some genes, especially for genes with low intensity values. This might
means that those genes don't express or express at low level.

then I tried MAS5.0 P/A/M call, and delete genes with more than 30% "A"
calls across time points. However, some of the remaining genes still have
different profiles from RMA and GCRMA ( I use correlation between
normalized profiles by RMA and GCRMA as measurement).

Since I want to draw conclusion based on expression pattern for each gene,
it seems that different normalization methods would change my conclusion,
although the truth is only one.

Should I trust GCRMA better?

Or the disagreement between RAM and GCRMA means that this is no clear
pattern for that gene at all, thus only genes for which RMA and GCRMA
agree well should be identified.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Fangxin

--