[BioC] plotting with log(x) values

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Mar 2 08:46:42 CET 2005

There seems to have been a couple of questions like this in the last
couple of days. Basically it depends on how exactæy you are making the
plot - are you using lattice (grid) or...

But a suitable answer for most basic plotting functions are something
like
  plot(..., axes = FALSE)
or perhaps
  plot(..., xaxt= FALSE, yaxt = FALSE)

This will make a plot without axes. You can then use the axis command to
add axis to the plot with a finer control, including labels.

This approach also fixes the other question on using character values as
labels.

In your case, you might be able to just do
  plot(..., log = "x")
(Again depending on the particular plot function you are using). But
this does not allow you to choose the base of the logarithm (if that is
important, which it might not be since you are annotating with the
original values).

Kasper

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:10:17PM -0800, Lana Schaffer wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to plot(matplot) values vs log2 concentrations values which I know that some of you
> do all the time.  On the x-axis instead of the log2(x) values, I would like to replace the axis values with the
> original x values as boxplot does.  Can someone tell me a trick so that I would be able to put
> these original x-values on the x-axis?
> Thanks,
> Lana
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Kasper Daniel Hansen, Research Assistant
Department of Biostatistics, University of Copenhagen