[BioC] decideTests with nestedF

Lei Jiang lj22 at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 27 22:04:21 CEST 2005

Dear all,

I am comparing two time points (6 time points) data under different conditions.
I want to look for genes that show different pattern under different
conditions.

I constructed contrasts as in the user's guide (diff=cond1-cond2 at all pairs
of time points) and generated MArrayLM object okay.

My questions come with decideTests with "nestedF".
1. how is the classification done exactly?? I found a much smaller set of genes
using decideTests(nestedF, p=0.01) versus p.adjust(fit$F.p.value)<0.01
2. The TestResults matrix doesnt really make sense. for example, places where
the matrix shows 1 as upregulation, dont necessarily have positive M value or
doesnt show a p.value < 0.01?? What do I miss here?? really confused...
3. p.value and adjust.method parameter in the decideTests are applied to F stat
or to the individual p value at each gene at each contrasts.

I hope I made the questions clear. Need help desperately, since there's not
much document on this. Other suggestions for this type of analysis are also
welcome.

Thank you.

Lei Jiang

Department of Chemsitry