[BioC] normalization question (conceptual)

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:29:16 CET 2005

Paul Mack wrote:
> Bioconductor:
>
> I have a question concerning normalization of data from Affymetrix
> Drosophila chip .cel files. This is a general question about how to
> normalize over multiple treatments. I have data from multiple (4)
> treatments -- actually a timecourse of 4 post-treatment intervals (0, 3,
> 6, and 24 hrs later) -- with 3-6 biologically independent arrays for
> each treatment. I also have 5 biologically independent control arrays --
> the same 5 arrays serve as controls for comparison to each of the 4 time
> intervals. I have used RMA to compare each treatment separately against
> the controls to determine genes whose expression levels change
> significantly under each treatment. As a result, I normalized each of
> the four treatments to the controls separately -- that is I did four
> separate normalizations with the one set of controls and one time
> interval. Would it be more appropriate to normalize all of the the
> experimental arrays in the analysis to the controls at once rather than
> separately, one treatment at a time (as described above)? If so, is
> there a recommended way to do so? I attempted to normalize all my arrays
> at once in R but received an error message (which I unfortunately did
> not save).

In most cases it is preferable to normalize all of your samples
together, and I don't see any compelling reason to do things separately
here.

I would bet that the error you received was something like 'Unable to
allocate a vector of XXXX Mb', which implies that you ran out of memory.
A reasonable workaround is to use justRMA().

Jim