[BioC] limma: duplicateCorrelation error

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Sat Feb 19 12:36:16 CET 2005

> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:20:00 +0100
> From: Georg Otto <georg.otto at tuebingen.mpg.de>
> Subject: [BioC] limma: duplicateCorrelation error
> To: bioconductor at stat.math.ethz.ch
>
> Dear Bioconductors,
>
> I am working with an array containing 17496 probes spotted in
> duplicate. To deal with duplicate spots I used duplicateCorrelation
> like this:
>
>   cor<-duplicateCorrelation(MA,ndups=2, spacing=1458)
>
> This results in a warning message:
>
> Warning message:
> Too much damping - convergence tolerance not achievable in:
> glmgam.fit(dx, dy, s
> tart = start, tol = tol, maxit = maxit, trace = trace)
>
> Despite this, I get a result out of it:
>
>   cor$consensus.correlation
> [1] 0.60528
>
> which i use like this:
>
>   fit<-lmFit(MA, ndups=2, correlation=0.60528)
>   fit<-ebayes(fit)

There are warnings and there are errors.  This is not an error as you've said in the subject line,
it is a warning.

This question has been asked quite a few times on this list.  As I've said each time, it is not a
problem.  duplicateCorrelation() take the consensus of a large number of correlations, and it
makes virtually no difference that one correlation out of thousands could not be computed.

Gordon