[BioC] mas5call select genes

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Wed Feb 2 15:43:29 CET 2005

Hey Stephen,
Do you have a reference that documents this?  We are getting a lot of flack
from a reviewer about our using the coefficient of variation instead of the
MAS5 calls.  This same reviewer seems to be happy enough for us to use RMA
or gcRMA, but did not accept my argument that filtering based on the
coefficient of variation is the natural measure with these normalization,
and is asking us to redo many tables due to this point.

For my part: an experimenter came to me with an 8 array experiment and was
in distress because 7 of the arrays had about 20% MAS5 absent calls, but
the 8th array had about 35% MAS5 absent calls.  After RMA normalization,
all 8 arrays appeared pretty good, in the sense that the correlation
between array 8 and the others was only slightly lower than the correlation
between other pairs.  I took this to indicate that there had been some
problem in the 8th array that had lowered the hybridization (or scanner
detection) rate, but that this was proportional to the rate on the other
arrays.  It also made me further question the validity of the MAS5 calls.

Comments from the mailing list (and a published reference that I could show
the reviewers) would be very welcome.

--Naomi

p.s. Sadly, almost all the experiments I deal with have only 2
reps/treatment, which presents a problem for the coefficient of variation
idea, but I don't think plant biologists are going to have the funding for
huge Affy experiments in the near future.