[BioC] A question regarding the mean of M-values.

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Fri Apr 29 11:51:00 CEST 2005

Hi Johan,

maybe you are thinking of taking the arithmetic mean of the *channel
signals* and not the *fold changes*?

Taking red-green spotted arrays with duplicates as an example. Then you
observe duplicated channel pairs (R1,G1) and (R2,G2) for a given gene.
Taking the log-ratios M1=log2(R1/G1) and M2=log2(R2/G2) and then the
arithmetic mean of the log-ratios

  M' = (M1+M2)/2
     = log2[sqrt(R1/G1)] + log2[sqrt(R2/G2)]
     = log2[sqrt(R1/G1)*sqrt(R2/G2)]

but also

  M' = log2[sqrt(R1*R2)/sqrt(G1*G2)]

that is, the log-ratio of the geometric mean of the channel signals.
Now, your "wonder" makes sense if you consider the arithmetic mean of
the channel signals;

  M'' = log2[((R1+R2)/2) / ((G1+G2)/2)]
      = log2[(R1+R2)/(G1+G2)]

Maybe you were heading towards this? Compare this with your suggestion,
which I think Gordon made clear is not a good idea;

  M''' = log2[(R1/G1)+(R2/G2)]

So, what about M' and M''? Common practice and recommended is no doubt
to use M', but M'' have been suggested to. Indeed, in some sense M'' is
used when you calculate the log-ratio for a single spot/probe; the pixel
intensities are averaged first, i.e. R1+R2+...+Rn and G1+G2+...+Gn;
n=#pixels, where R1,...,Rn are pixel intensities. Similarly, when
calculating probe-set summaries in Affymetrix, the probe signals are
averaged by the arithmetic mean (or a weighted version of it). In line
with this, it has been suggested that one should take the *median of
pixel-intensity ratios* instead of the *ratio of median pixel
intensities*, cf. M' and M'' [I don't think this is a good idea because
of image alignment problems].

I do not know a detailed study comparing M' and M'', and again, it
depends on what level you are working on and what error models you
believe in. Thinking of replicates on the spotted arrays, the probe
concentrations may vary between spots, but not between channels. Say you
have, by chance (imperfectness) concentration w1=[0,1] for duplicate one
and w2 for duplicate two, then

  M' = (log2[(w1*R1)/(w1*G1)] + log2[(w2*R2)/(w2*G2)])/2
     = (log2[R1/G1] + log2[R2/G2])/2

which illustrated one (the most common?) argument to use M', whereas

  M'' = log2[(w1*R1+w2*R2)/(w1*G1+w2*G2)]

give different weights to different spots. On the other hand, one may
argue that if w1 < w2, then the signal-to-noise ratio for duplicate 1 is
lower that for duplicate 2, and therefore we should indeed down weigh
that spot when taking the average; this is done in M'', but not M'. For
true dilution series, {wi;i=1,...,I} are not random errors, but spread
out on purpose [which I strongly recommend]. Then, would you argue for
M' or M''?

So, under certain circumstances, I do not think it is clear whether M'
or M'' should be used, but use M' if you do not know.

Best wishes

Henrik Bengtsson