[BioC] Integrating Codelink data with bioconductor (using affy and limmafunctions)

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Sat Apr 23 13:23:39 CEST 2005

Dear Diego,

We are interested in introducing Codelink support into limma at some stage,
so we'd be interested to see your class definition and parser at some time.
The main reason we don't support Codelink yet is some uncertainty about how
best to handle the multiple fields (sub-arrays) which are part of the
Codelink platform.

I think that you would almost certainly be better off avoiding missing
values in the first place rather than trying to accommodate them during the
normalization process. See for example:

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioconductor/2005-April/008348.html

Note that while normalizeQuantiles() does allow for missing values, the
missing values are assumed to have occured at random. If the missing values
are actually associated with low intensities, this is not missing at random
and the normalization process will be biased. Even if you use a method
other than quantile normalization, the whole process of between-array
normalization is problematic with missing values. Better to avoid them.

Gordon