[BioC] RMA + loess normalisation and filtering

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 18:01:30 CEST 2005

Hi again,

>> question 1: I have performed *RMA normalisation *of my Affymetrix
>> data. However, for further analysis I think it is necessary to
>> *filter* the data (non-expressed genes or below background). However I
>> don't know the best way to filter the genes that are not expressed or
>> very low expressed (below the background), based on the RMA
>> normalisation data.
>

> My preference is to select genes based on their overall variability,
> using a criterions such as
>
>    z = apply(exprs(x), 1, IQR)

Just remembered - a discussion (with data) on whether to select on mean
level or variability can be found here:

http://www.bepress.com/bioconductor/paper7/

There are also additional ideas on pre-filtering, in order to alleviate
the loss of power from multiple testing.

--
Best regards
   Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber