[BioC] reproducing dChip expression measure

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Tue Apr 12 01:14:46 CEST 2005

I think you will find that any 2 reasonable Affy normalization methods have
very high correlation.  In the Irizarry et al paper on cross-lab and
cross-platform comparisons this is called the "probe effect" and is due to
the fact that the range of expression values is huge and the normalization
methods do a reasonable job of preserving the ordering.
However, this correlation does not translate into much overlap in the set
of genes that are declared DE.

A better measure of closeness of the 2 normalizations is the MA plot of the
normalized values on the same array, using the 2 normalizations.

Incidentally, I have never used the Li-Wong method, but I understand that
it requires a fairly large data set (i.e. arrays/condition), so the
differences between dChip and BioC may just be failure to converge.

--Naomi