[BioC] biomaRt question

Steffen Durinck sdurinck at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 08:20:47 CEST 2005

Hi Jo,

In the function martConnect you should write something like this (using
the correct host,....)

mart <- new("Mart",
               ensembl = dbConnect(drv = driver,user = user, host = host
, dbname = databases$ensembl, password = password),
               vega = dbConnect(drv = driver,user = user, host= host,
dbname = databases$vega, password = password),
               sequence = dbConnect(drv = driver,user = user, host =
host, dbname = databases$sequence, password = password),
               snp = dbConnect(drv = driver,user = user, host = host,
dbname = databases$snp, password = password),
               arrayToSpecies = arrayToSpecies,
               arrayToEnsembl = arrayToEnsembl
               );

You'll also need to change the host etc in the function listMarts

listMarts <- function(host = "ensembldb.ensembl.org", user =
"anonymous", password = ""){

 driv <- dbDriver("MySQL", force.reload = FALSE);
 connection <- dbConnect(driv, user = user, host = host, password =
password);

If you can wait a few more hours I could  send you the latest release of
biomaRt in which you don't have to make changes in the source code
anymore but can change host from within your R session.  BioMart
currently uses Ensembl_mart, snp_mart, vega_mart, and  sequence_mart.
It will try to connect  to these marts all at  once.  We plan to include
a way of selection so if you only use ensembl you don't have to install
all other marts although these currently come together if you do a local
ensembl install.

best,
Steffen