[BioC] limma package : Error in sigToEnv(signature,fdef) : Tr ying to get slot "signature" from an object of a basic class ("NULL") wit h no slots

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Wed Apr 6 22:42:43 CEST 2005

He, Yiwen (NIH/CIT) wrote:
> Thanks James, but I did do data <- as.matrix(data) before running lmFit, and
> is.matrix(data) returns TRUE. ("data" is just for illustration purpose, but
> thanks for pointing out the variable name issue.)
>
> Any other suggestions?

You could always call traceback() after the error to see where things
went wrong. The problem may be obvious at that point, or it may give you
an idea what function to step through using debug().

An error such as yours indicates to me that lmFit() thinks you are
passing some sort of an S4 object and is trying to get the contents of a
slot. I don't see how this is possible with a numeric matrix (and I
can't reproduce it here). Can you give a toy example that anybody could
run that causes the error?

--
James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core