[BioC] how to keep R as the latest version in the simple way?

Kasper Daniel Hansen k.hansen at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Apr 1 22:43:55 CEST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:35:00AM -0800, Yanqin Yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using R 2.0.0 version. Do I need to update to R 2.0.1? How could I keep my R as the latest version? I downloaded R 2.0.1 tar file. Do you have to remove the old version and reinstall the new version? In that case, I need install all the packages I installed for the old R.
> Do you have a better idea to do this in the simple way?

System etc. I assume you are using Linux.

Typically, a minor version bump in R does not invalidate the various
libraries you have installed. But in my own opinion, for safety reasons,
I always reinstall libraries when bumping the R version. If you keep a
single file detailing the libraries you have installed, you can just
rerun the file - the downloading / compilation does not take that long
unless you are on a slow line/machine.

Kasper