[BioC] Strange signal Log-Ratios with MA.RG

Wolfgang Huber huber at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 21:50:37 CEST 2005

Ciao Giulio,

this is a commonly known limitation of log-ratios. It appears that your
problem is that MA.RG(RG) does not calculate

    log2((RG$R-RG$Rb)/(RG$G-RG$Gb))

but rather

    log2(RG$R-RG$Rb) - log2(RG$G-RG$Gb)

and these are different when the individual differences are non-positive
but the quotient in the first expression is not.

Now some advertisement... For "generalized log-ratios" that avoid this
problem, coincide with the usual log-ratio when the latter is
well-defined, and are biologically and statistically meaningful
shrinkage estimators otherwise, see the "vsn" package and accompanying
paper(s). Shrinkage estimators sacrifice a small bias for a significant
reduction in variance, so that the MSE decreases. "vsn" is one of the
choices for "method" in normalizeBetweenArrays {limma}.

  Cheers
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber
European Bioinformatics Institute