[BioC] p-value/B-statistic interpretation

Mike Schaffer mschaff at bu.edu
Tue Oct 5 17:48:57 CEST 2004

I know this is probably beaten to death, but I can't seem to find a
satisfactory answer.

How can the p-values/B-statistics from limma be properly interpreted?

With assumptions satisfied, an FDR corrected p-value cutoff should
produce a list of induced/repressed genes that includes a given
percentage of false positives.  However, we all know that we cannot
assume independence with arrays.  So, how does one rationalize a
p-value or B-statistic cutoff to get beyond just a list of the top X
genes?  Does this dependence render the p-values completely
meaningless?

My "problem" is that my FDR corrected p-values are incredibly low
(<1x10-4) and a moderate p-value cutoff produces a list of over 10% of
the genes on my array.  Now, I can obviously lower the cutoff, but how
does one decide where to draw the line?  Is it just empirically by how
many genes I *do* expect to see induced/repressed.  Since I don't know
this answer, this places me in a untoward position of justifying the
rationale.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike