[BioC] Confusion for choosing package for microarray data analysis

Yi Zou yzou1971 at netscape.net
Tue Mar 16 00:36:05 MET 2004

Dear list members,

I'm just starting using R to analyze my cDNA microarray data. After a
few days experience, I found there are so many different packages
available like marray, limma, sma, com.braju.sma, siggenes...etc. Some
of them have many functions doing the same work, and definitely each
package may provide its specific functions. So, I'm a little confused
for choosing these packages firstly for my following analysis. Hopefully
experienced members can give me a short answer for these two questions:

1) Do I have to use these packages together, or just choose one that I
feel comfortable?

2) Can somebody give me a short comparison for those most commonly used
packages like limma, marray, sma..., especially give me a introduction
for those specific functions in a package which are not provided in
other packages? Then I know which package I should choose at beginning.

Any answers and suggestions is appreciated

Yi