[BioC] cDNA microarray Questions

rwin qian rwinqian at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 20:50:41 MET 2004

I used the Spearman Rank Correlation Coefficients.

One thing that I am not sure about is how to delete low quality genes after the normalization, especially for one spot-one gene in each array.
Any insights from you will be appreciated!

Darwin

"michael watson (IAH-C)" <michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk> wrote:
>The correlation coefficients are very low. Is that the normal case?
>Do I need to delete some poor quality genes before any analysis and
>what rule should I use?

Which correlation coefficient are you using? I regularly see very low pearson correlation coefficients between biological replicates but that can be put down to natural biological variation - no two organisms are the same, right? BUT if you start seeing low correlations between technical replicates (e.g. replicate samples from the same animal/tissue/organ/whatever) then that indicates that you have a lot of variation in your technology, which is bad.

ON another note, I always find the Spearman Rank Correlation Coefficients to be much higher.

Mick