[BioC] Re: trouble installing "affy" package

Wolfgang Huber w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri Jan 30 11:40:54 MET 2004

<FE8987DC-52AD-11D8-90FC-000A956845CE at duke.edu>

Hi Jeffrey,

essential for the functioning of the affy package. I don't think you can
expect to get any kind of meaningful results without these. So the
proper thing to do is to find out why Biobase doesn't install.

When you downlonad Biobase_1.XX.tar.gz file manually and try to install,
do you get an error message, and which? What version are you using?

If you succeed to load Biobase, can you send us the output of

  > library(Biobase)
  > ls("package:Biobase")
  > showClass("exprSet")
  > showClass("MIAME")

Best wishes
   Wolfgang

Jeffrey Chang wrote:
> [...]
>
> setClass("AffyBatch",
>          representation(cdfName="character",
>                         nrow="numeric",
>                         ncol="numeric"),
>          prototype=list(exprs=matrix(nr=0,nc=0),
>          se.exprs = matrix(nr=0,nc=0),
>          description=new("MIAME"),
>          annotation="",
>          notes="",
>          cdfName="",
>          nrow=0,
>          ncol=0), contains="exprSet")
>

> For some reason, R is not importing Biobase correctly (if anyone knows
> why, please tell me!) so it doesn't know about MIAME and complains.
> Similarly, it also doesn't know about "exprSet" so can't create the class.
>
> Since I am not planning on using this file, I commented out the entire
> file and installed the package without this functionality.  The correct
> fix would be to figure out why R can't find Biobase, but I don't know
> enough about R to do that.
>
> Jeff
>

> On Jan 29, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Jeffrey Chang wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Bioconductor into a freshly compiled R 1.8.1 on
>> OS X 10.3.2.  I'm sourcing the getBioC.R from
>> http://www.bioconductor.org and trying to install the "release" version:
>>
>> > getBioC(relLevel="release")
>>
>> It looks like R is getting sources from
>> http://www.bioconductor.org/repository/release1.3/package/Source
>>
>> However, when it tries to install "affy", it complains about a missing
>> "Biobase" package and the installation fails.  However, Biobase seems
>> to be installed properly.  Executing at R prompt
>>     > library("Biobase")
>> seems to complete without error.
>>
>> However, executing
>>     > library("affy")
>>     Error in library("affy") : There is no package called 'affy'
>> fails.
>>
>> I have included a portion of the error messages at the bottom of this
>> email.  Has anyone seen this before, or know how to fix it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff
>>

>> [...]
>> ** R
>> ** data
>> ** demo
>> ** inst
>> ** save image
>> [1] FALSE
>> Warning message:
>> There is no package called 'Biobase' in: library(package,
>> character.only = TRUE, logical = TRUE, warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,
>> [1] TRUE
>> [1] TRUE
>> Error in getClass(Class, where = topenv(parent.frame())) :
>>          "MIAME" is not a defined class
>> Execution halted
>> cat: stdout: Broken pipe
>> ERROR: execution of package source for 'affy' failed
>> ** Removing '/opt/local/lib/R/library/affy'
>> Warning message:
>> Installation of package affy had non-zero exit status in:
>> installPkg(fileName, pkg, pkgVer, type, lib, repEntry, versForce)

-------------------------------------
Wolfgang Huber
Division of Molecular Genome Analysis
German Cancer Research Center