[BioC] Trouble installing 'makecdfenv'

Jim Breaux jim.breaux at vialogy.com
Tue Jan 20 23:26:53 MET 2004

I am having trouble installing the latest release of 'makecdfenv,' and I am
hoping someone can help me out.  When I tried to install the source package,
I got the following errors after calling "Rcmd INSTALL
makecdfenv_1.4.1.tar.gz":

--------- Making package makecdfenv ------------

   WARNING: this package has a configure script
         It probably needs manual configuration

  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
  making DLL ...
making read_cdffile.d from read_cdffile.c
read_cdffile.c:52:19: warning: zlib.h: No such file or directory
gcc  -DHAVE_ZLIB=1  -IM:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1081/src/include -Wall -O2   -c
read_cdffile.c -o read_cdffile.o
read_cdffile.c:52:19: zlib.h: No such file or directory
read_cdffile.c: In function `openCELfile':
read_cdffile.c:581: warning: implicit declaration of function `gzopen'
read_cdffile.c:581: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
read_cdffile.c:586: warning: implicit declaration of function `gzgets'
read_cdffile.c:589: warning: implicit declaration of function `gzrewind'
read_cdffile.c: In function `openCDFfile':
read_cdffile.c:623: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
read_cdffile.c: In function `close_affy_file':
read_cdffile.c:663: warning: implicit declaration of function `gzclose'
read_cdffile.c: In function `readline_affy_file':
read_cdffile.c:679: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
read_cdffile.c: In function `readQC':
read_cdffile.c:908: warning: unused variable `param_unit'
make[2]: *** [read_cdffile.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [srcDynlib] Error 2
make: *** [pkg-makecdfenv] Error 2
*** Installation of makecdfenv failed ***

Where is the file 'zlib.h' supposed to come from (it doesn't appear to be in
'makecdfenv_1.4.1.tar.gz')?

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me get this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jim