[BioC] P calls (VSN and RMA)

Naomi Altman naomi at stat.psu.edu
Fri Jan 9 23:00:07 MET 2004

I have also been working on this problem.

I compared the Affy "present" calls, and calls based on various levels of
normalized expression.  Needless to say, these do not match well.

In our study, it is known that some genes do express at very low levels in
one of our conditions, and do not express under the other
conditions.  These genes were declared "not present" in all conditions both
by Affy and by our (admittedly arbitrary) cut point  (which was 50).

I did a gene-by-gene ANOVA (which included all genes, even if
"absent").  Interestingly enough, a few of these genes had a statistically
significant ANOVA F-test and a look at the expression values confirmed that
this was due to much higher expression  values (2-fold or more) in the
known condition.  This seemed to me to indicate that perhaps we ought to
consider lowering the cut point.  However, if we do this, we also include a
lot more genes that appear (by RT-PCR) to really be absent.

So, now I wonder if I can use the ANOVA to provide information about when a
gene is present.  I appreciate this discussion, because it is an important
issue for the group of biologists I work with.

--Naomi