[BioC] Limma Package to read cDNA data

Matthew Ritchie mritchie at wehi.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 05:18:59 MET 2004

Hi Joyce,

The function read.maimages() should be able to handle your custom format
data.  You can specify the columns you want to read in for the red
foreground and background (Rf, Rb) and green foreground and background
(Gf, Gb) using the 'columns' argument, which takes a list with
components Rf="red foreground column name", Gf="green foreground column
name", Rb="red background column name" and Gb="green background column
name".

For example, if I have 2 image analysis output files (array1.txt and
array2.txt in tab delimited text format) in the current working
directory, and I want the columns "F635 Mean" and "F532 Mean" for the
red and green foregrounds and "B635 Median" and "B532 Median" for the
red and green backgrounds, then the following commands:

files <- dir(pattern=".txt")
files
# [1] "array1.txt" "array2.txt"
RG <- read.maimages(files, columns=list(Rf="F635 Mean", Rb="B635
Median", Gf="F532 Mean", Gb="B532 Median"))

will read in the relevant columns and store them in an RGList object.
 Alternatively, if your image analysis data is from one of the packages
Spot, GenePix, SMD, Imagene, Arrayvision or Quantarray, then you can
specify this using the 'source' argument.  The relevant columns (Rf, Rb,
Gf and Gb) are extracted automatically when 'source' is specified.  For
example

RG <- read.maimages(files, source="genepix")

is equivalent to the previous call.  For more information on this
function, try

?read.maimages

or

help.start()

and take the 'Packages', 'limma' and '3.ReadingData' links.
Best wishes,

Matt Ritchie
PhD Student
Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
1G Royal Parade
Parkville, 3050 VIC AUSTRALIA
email: mritchie at wehi.edu.au
web: http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au