[BioC] annotation - 1 probe with 2 UG ??

Mayte Suarez-Farinas mayte at babel.rockefeller.edu
Wed Aug 25 20:48:29 CEST 2004

I found the following issue using bioconductor annotation and I would like
to hear some comment about it.

The probeset 220184_at at hgu133a - affymetrix
is annotated as Hs.479995 if I use the annotation package of BioConductor
but if I go to netaffx(affymetrix-see details below) is annotated as
Hs.329296, in both of them with Symbol: NANOG. Furthermore, using
Hs.479995 in affimetrix returns no results.
Maybe this is a naive question but shouldn't I suposse that
the bioconductor package where created using affymetrix information ?

After that I look into NCBI pages and I found that
Hs.326290 is  NANOG(Nanog homeobox) and Hs.479995  is NANOGP1
(Nanog homeobox pseudogene 1) and they both have the same
LocusLink identifier and share some GB identifiers

so, is 220184_at a probe with 2 UniGene identifier ?

I appreciate any comment .

Mayte

if you go to netaffx:
https://www.affymetrix.com/analysis/netaffx/quickquery.affx
you will find the following annotation:
>From Affymetrix:
220184_at Nanog homeobox NANOG
regulation of transcription, DNA-dependent
transcription factor activity
nucleus
Probe Set ID   220184_at
GeneChip Array Human Genome U133 Plus 2.0 Array
Organism Common Name Human
Probe Design Information
Transcript ID g13376297
Sequence Type Exemplar sequence
Representative Public ID NM_024865 NCBI
Archival UniGene Cluster Hs.326290 NCBI

And using annaffy's functions:

aafUniGene('220184_at','hgu133a')
An object of class "aafList"
An object of class "aafUniGene"
[1] "Hs.479995"

          Symbol   GenBank LocusLink   UniGene
220184_at  NANOG NM_024865     79923 Hs.479995

Mayte Suarez Farinas
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Avenue, Box 212
New York, NY 10021