[BioC] recipe for installing and using Bioconductor with Mac OS X 10.3 and R GUI 1.9

Marc Salit salit at nist.gov
Tue Apr 13 23:15:51 CEST 2004

Dear Colleagues --

I've been trying unsuccessfully to use Bioconductor (mostly the affy
package) on a Mac with OS X 10.3.3, running R with a GUI, either 1.8.1
or 1.9.0 beta. I've tried to install Bioconductor with getBioC.R, which
doesn't work all the way, and also tried to use a shell command to
install downloaded packages, a la R CMD INSTALL
/path/to/pkg_version.tar.gz , which also doesn't work all the way
(stops when it can't find a 'make' command in SHLIB.

Suggestions? Caveats? Will this work? Shall I give up and 'switch' back
to a PC???

Cheers & TIA,
Marc Salit

--