[BioC] Swissprot code

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 28 03:51:59 MEST 2003

We have been looking at providing mappings, however, as usual life is
not so simple,
from the Swiss-Prot Ftp site, they have

SWISS-PROT is copyright.  It is produced through a collaboration
between the
Swiss Institute  of  Bioinformatics   and the EMBL Outstation - the
European
Bioinformatics Institute. There are no restrictions on its use by
non-profit
institutions as long as its  content is in no way modified. Usage by
and for
commercial entities requires a license agreement.  For information
about the
licensing  scheme  see: http://www.isb-sib.ch/announce/ or send  an
email to
license at isb-sib.ch.

We would not, under those terms be able to download map and freely
distribute the end result. I have been meaning to get around to asking
for permission to do so, but have not yet found the time (nor the
right person to ask), so if someone knows more. please do let me or
Jianhua Zhang know. And for any of you with your own data resources,
please think carefully about your license statements.

 Thanks,
   Robert

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:36:30PM -0400, James MacDonald wrote:
> I don't know if there is an easy way to do this using one of the
> Bioconductor packages, but you can download the Affy annotation from
> their website.
>
> http://www.affymetrix.com/redirect/taf.jsp?source=cd&dest=/Download/taf/HG-U133A_annot_csv.zip
>
> This file has a column containing all the SwissProt numbers that the
> folks at Affy know about. Note here that many of the genes have more
> than one SwissProt number, separated by ///. You can either import the
> SwissProt numbers into R and associate them with your set of interesting
> genes, or export your results to Excel and associate using a lookup
> function.
>
> HTH,
>
> Jim
>

> James W. MacDonald
> Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
> University of Michigan Cancer Center
> 1500 E. Medical Center Drive
> 7410 CCGC
> Ann Arbor MI 48109
> 734-647-5623

> Hi,
> I d like to know if anyone has an easy way to associate one Swiss Prot
> ID to
> each probesets of Affymetrix HU133A... a Swissprot ID recognized by
> GenMAPP
> would be prefered !
> thanks
> Philippe
>
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |