[BioC] Combining HGU133A & HGU133B data

Crispin Miller CMiller at PICR.man.ac.uk
Mon Sep 15 14:55:32 MEST 2003

Hi,
A more serious issue is that normalisation (almost certainly) assumes that the average expression level on each chip is the same. This is clearly not the case between A and B chips - and combing each pair of A's and B's for every sample, before normalisation, is almost certainly a bad idea...

Normalising the A's and B's separately is probably much more sensible - and this then allows you to use the 2000+ shared probes to see how well your normalisation has worked: their signals are from the same hyb. cocktail so they should produce the same expression levels. If you think about it this way, the repeated probes are a Good Thing(TM) :-)

Crispin