[BioC] Analysis Interface Projects

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Tue Sep 9 11:13:29 MEST 2003

> http://bioinf.wehi.edu.au/limmaGUI/

Yes, we are developing limmaGUI, a Tcl/Tk interface for the
limma package.  If anyone is game to try it out at this early
stage, I'd love to hear feedback.  But it certainly doesn't have
all of the power of the limma package (for command-line
users) and may contain some significant bugs.

I have found that the hardest part of providing an easy-to-use
R/TclTk application is making it easy to install on all systems.
ActiveTcl works well on Windows, but on Red Hat, R is configured
by default to use the Tcl and Tk 8.3 shared libraries, whereas
if you use ActiveTcl to get the Tcl/Tk extensions (Tktable,
BWidge etc.) you end up with 8.4 binaries - could be risky.  And
on MacOS X you face the issue that X11 and Aqua Tcl/Tk are not
compatible with each other so you have to make sure that you
don't have both in the Tcl/Tk search path.

Regards,
James