[BioC] lowess vs. loess [marrayNorm and limma]

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 13:21:49 MEST 2003

To follow up on my general remarks on lowess and loess, I should also
explain the slight differences between loess normalization in marrayNorm
and limma.

I am the one mostly to blame for the fact that marrayNorm and limma are not
exactly the same for loess normalization. Jean and I co-ordinated
marrayNorm and limma earlier in the year to use:

span=0.4
degree=1
iterations=5
surface="direct"

(See my last post to BioC for the meaning of these parameters.) These
parameter setting are conservative choices. They result in a relatively
stiff curve, with a high degree of robustness and with exact loess
calculations involving no interpolation. The decision to avoid
interpolation was motivated more by the desire to avoid confusing warning
messages from 'loess' rather than because interpolation is not accurate.

As some users have noted on this mailing list, the avoidance of
interpolation results in very, very slow fits for some data sets. It was
much, much too slow for me anyway. So I re-introduced interpolation to
limma and have implemented some warning suppression at a lower code level
to avoid the confusing warning messages. limma currently uses default values:

span=0.3
degree=1
iterations=4
interpolation: 'lowess'-style interpolation where possible, otherwise
'loess'-style

The default values in limma agree exactly with the earlier software SMA,
i.e., with the software that was used for the original papers on loess
normalization. If you want limma to produce the slightly stiffer, slightly
more robust curves produced by marrayNorm, you can use

normalizeWithinArrays(RG, span=0.4, iterations=5)

The only difference between limma and marrayNorm will then be a result of
interpolation used by limma.

Which parameter settings are best? Data analysis is not such a precise
science that it is possible to give categorical answers. Either span=0.3 or
span=0.4 are acceptable. In general, a higher value for span is appropriate
if your data doesn't show much intensity-dependence in dye-bias and
vice-versa. Iterations=4 produces a reasonably robust fit. If you
desperately need a very robust procedure, perhaps because you have a very
high proportion of differentially expressed genes, then the most robust
possible print-tip intensity-based normalization procedure is available from

normalizeWithinArrays(RG, method="robustspline", robust="MM")

Gordon