[BioC] Design Matrix Question

Kenny Ye kye at ams.sunysb.edu
Wed Oct 22 22:03:16 MEST 2003

Regardless of what it should be called, it is what the data.frame should
look like for the comparison of three different treatments DIF1, DIF2,
DIF3. The problem can be viewed as two way anova, in which the dye can be
seen as the blocking factor. The treatment factor has three levels so it
need to be decomposed to two contrasts for linear regression. Both
R-functions lm and aov takes the qualitative factor as explanatory
variable directly and apply default decomposition ``contr.treatment''.
Notice that the response of the ANOVA would be treatment/notreatment ratio
or its log(transformation).

I am no idea about limma, it should offer more. From Gordon's
description, it takes readings from both channels, so allows comparison
between treatments from both channels. Jason, follow
Gordon's suggestion if you would also like to compare treatments to no
treatment.

If the purpose of Jason's study is to compare three drugs, then the loop
design suggested by Katie Kerr and Gary Chunchill would be more efficient.

Kenny

Kenny Ye
Assistant Professor
Department of Applied Math and Statistics
SUNY at  Stony Brook
Stony Brook, New York 11794-3600
Phone (631)632-9344
Fax   (631)632-8490