[BioC] Affy: Present calls in an eset

Jenny Drnevich drnevich at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 8 11:28:17 MEST 2003

> > Anyway, with MAS the calls are calculated anyway, can't they? So, I'd
> be nice
> > (at least for "completness") to add a "mascall" method to the exprSet
> objects
> > generated by affy. What do you think?
>
>It would be great.  As far as I know, the MAS calls are protected as a
>trade secret and non-disclosure agreements.  Maybe not, but I happen
>to know for sure that the rosetta resolver calls are! (or I'd have
>implemented them for amusement)

Actually, Affy is pretty open about their algorithms. See their
"Statistical Algorithms Reference Guide"
http://www.affymetrix.com/support/technical/technotes/statistical_reference_guide.pdf
However, their detection algorithm doesn't seem to tell you exactly how
they calculate everything. Alternatively, we've been using a paired t-test
on the raw PM and MM values in a chip (one-sided) and consider genes to be
expressed/present where PM>MM. I haven't checked to see how our method
compares to Affy's - maybe I will when I get some free time :)

Cheers,
Jenny

Jenny Drnevich, Ph.D.
Department of Animal Biology