[BioC] RMA and GeneSpring?

Fátima Núñez fnunez at usal.es
Mon Oct 6 20:45:52 MEST 2003

I'm
> not familiar with either one though. Someone told me the software
> RMAExpress is enough if I don't want other functions of BioC. So I
> download and ran the RMAExpress. Then i realized that GeneSpring only
> takes linear values and the results from RMAExpress look like in log
> value. So i have two questions:
>
> 1) If i transform the RMA data to linear value for GeneSpring, are
they
> base 2?

Yes, they are.

> 2) GeneSpring needs the data to be normalized around 1 (median).

Not necessarily. GeneSpring recommends to do that normalization, but you
can modify the normalization steps to suit your pourposes.

But i
> don't want to do any other normalization except RMA. So can I work
with
> these RMA data (transformed to linear, obviously the median is not 1 )
in
> GeneSpring?

Yes, you can. All you have to do is to remove all normalization steps
that appear by default in the GeneSpring corresponding window and ignore
their warnings ;-)

Or, how should I combine RMA and GeneSpring anyway? Thank you