[BioC] Re: Manova nuances

Stephen P. Baker stephen.baker at umassmed.edu
Mon Nov 24 14:18:33 MET 2003

Michael,
One of the matrices output by svd should have dimensions = k by n or n by k
where k is number of original variates and n the number of chips, this would
be a set of eigenvectors.  This matrix times the vector of expression levels
from one chip should produce a vector of length n with values for the new
components.  There should also be either a vector or diagonal matrix ouput
with values that are in descending order; the first corresponds to the
variation in the first component, the second the next highest, etc., these
should be the eigenvalues.  Eigenvalues greater than 1 can be interpreted as
indicating that component accounts for a significant portion of the
variation in the original variables.

Stephen P. Baker, MScPH , PhD(ABD)                      (508) 856-2625
Senior Biostatistician
(775) 254-4885 fax
Academic Computing Services
Lecturer in Biostatistics , Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
55 Lake Avenue North                          stephen.baker at umassmed.edu
Worcester, MA 01655  USA