[BioC] how to display graphics on the web?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Fri Nov 21 18:51:54 MET 2003

Dear William,

I think it is not that hard. We have (actually, Juanma Vaquerizas has)
prepared a cgi that works as a web interface to limma and a few kluges of us;
you can give it a try at http://dnmad.bioinfo.cnio.es.

The basic skeleton is Perl, and we we use the CGIwithR package
(http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html#CGIwithR), by David
Firth, to communicate between R and Perl; figures are displayed as png (we
are satisfied with the png's quality). We also tried RSessionDA (see Greg's
message), but we had a harder time getting it to work, so we opted for the
solution above.

Please note that this is just a beta version! (and it is running from a dual
Xeon machine, so please, be gentle). If you can wait a little bit, we are
writing a note for R news, and we will provide all details there, and
downloadable code from our webpages.

Best,

R.

On Friday 21 November 2003 17:33, LIANHE SHAO wrote:
> Hello, all,
>
> Does anybody has ideas to call R from web page to do
> analysis and dynamically display generated graphics
> in the web page?
> There are couple packagas like Rweb and Rcgi. but
> seems the quality is not good enough and programming
> is too restrictive.
>
> I know insightful.com has a Statserver that can
> generate good graphics. (refer:
> http://www.insightful.com/products/statserver/default.asp),
>
> but it is not open source.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> William

Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas (CNIO)
(Spanish National Cancer Center)
Melchor Fernández Almagro, 3
28029 Madrid (Spain)
Fax: +-34-91-224-6972