[BioC] very small fold change from RMA data

Qiang Li qiangli at env.med.nyu.edu
Thu Nov 13 16:11:08 MET 2003

Hi, Dapeng,

I noticed your question about very small fold change in RMA data by
GeneSpring. I encountered same problem right now. I was wondering whether
you found out the solution or answer. Thanks

Best regards

Qiang Li

Hi,

My question is about very small fold change from RMA treated data. What I
did is to normalize affy chips with RMA, transform to linear values then
import to GeneSpring. Data was filtered using Affy detection call.  Then a
two group T-Test (10 replicates in each conditions) was performed and gave
me a list of 300 gens.  What makes me confused is that 50% of these genes
have fold changes less than 1.2, only 10% genes have higher than 1.5 fold
change.  Is this normal?

I also did the same T-Test with Affy pre-scaled data (and nomarlized with
GeneSpring per chip and per gene median normalization). This time 50% of
genes in the list have higher than 1.5 fold changes. (And this list is not
the same as that one from RMA data, only 70% overlapping.)

I will appreciate it very much if anybody could provide me some literature
regarding different normarlizations and fold change. Thanks.

dapeng cui

Qiang Li

TEL:     845-7313549 (o)
             845-5486777 (h)
ADD:    57 Old Forge Road, Tuxedo, NY, 10987
             Dept. Environmental Medicine, School of Medicine
             New York University