[BioC] CDF package needed for Barley chip

w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Mon Nov 3 18:44:34 MET 2003

Hi James, Ute,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, James MacDonald wrote:
> In order to create this cdfenv, you will need to peruse the instructions
> for building packages under windows (I have to assume you are on win32),
> which can be found in the R for Windows FAQ, question 3.1.
> Although relatively straightforward to do, getting your win32 box set
> up for compiling packages can be a frustrating experience. ...

I agree with James's statement, but there is a little trick to produce
zipped windows packages even if you don't have all the tools and compilers
installed on a windows machine.

This only works
1. if the package does not contain C or Fortran source code
(i.e. if it is written in R only). This is the case for CDF and probe
packages.
2. if you have access to a Unix (linux) machine with R installed
somewhere.

I am not sure how or where this feature is documented or whether it may
change in future releases (?). Assuming that the name of your package is
pkgname, and that you have write permission in /tmp, do, on Unix:

R CMD INSTALL -l /tmp pkgname
cd /tmp
zip -r9l pkgname_1.0.0.zip pkgname

after this the zip file will be in the /tmp directory and can be shipped
to a happy windows user. The R version on windows should be >= the one on
Unix.

  Best wishes
    Wolfgang

Wolfgang Huber